Study in Canada as a Minor
In most cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include the following
- Minor children attending kindergarten
- Minor children who are refugees claimants or whose parents are refugee claimants.
- Minor children who are already in canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada and want to attend preschool, primary or secondary school
When these minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (Age 18 years or 19 years depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.
In some cases, parents may choose to send their child to canada on his own for the purpose of studying. When minors are travelling alone, they must apply for a study permit and the length of the permit is valid as follows:
- Minor children in grades 1 through 8 : the study permit is normally valid for one year
- Minor children in grades 9 through 12, or attending a post-secondary institution the study permit is normally valid for the time of the studies, plus 90 days
- Minor children studying in Quebec, the study permit is valid for the same length of time as the CAQ.
If the minor child is with the parents who have long term study or work permits, the child’s study permit should be valid for the same length of time as the parents permit or the child’s passport, if it expires before the parents permit.
Minor children applying for study permit under the age of 17 Yrs must either be accompanied by their parent or a legal guardian or have a guardian/custodian in Canada.
A custodian is a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor child. A custodian is optional for minors 17 years of age and older, but an Immigration officer can request one on a case-by-case basis. All primary and secondary schools in Canada can enroll International Students.
For more details, our team is here to advise you on the process and is highly competent in representing your applications.